One Man's Dream Became An Honored Family Tradition.
When Rudy Kalmar opened his Hudson sales and service station in 1937, perhaps he had hopes that he was building a business that would be carried by his children and grandchildren.
He probably had no idea that his two sons would someday expand his car dealership to it's current size, let alone that they would be running advertisements on television.
As Rudy was growing up, automobiles were becoming a more widespread means of transportation. He developed an interest in working on them, and in 1929 became a certified mechanic through Chicago Motor Training School.
Rudy Kalmar stands by the Amoco gas pumps outside his first garage in 1937.
Rudy Kalmar, right, stands inside his first service garage with a customer in 1937.
Rudy's first garage was along old Route 66 (now Evergreen Road) in Gilpin. He sold and serviced one model of automobile, the Hudson Herraplane.
At that time his inventory usually consisted of two to four cars. He also sold Amoco gas and his wife Helen ran a small grocery store from the building.
After suffering a heart attack in 1971 Rudy decided to pass the reins of the business over to his two sons (Gary and Len). Since then Gary and Len have moved forward expanding and remodeling their current facility along Route 66 several times with increased shop and office space to keep up with the growing sales and service business.
Kalmar started selling Pontiacs in 1985 and later added Chevrolet to keep up with the demand of their long time customers needs.
Through the years, Kalmar Motors has thrived on the dedication of two sons to the father they so loved and respected. Rudy Kalmar proudly watched as his grandsons began to join in his business before he passed away in 1988.
Today there still are three generations involved in Rudy's business. Celebrating 75 years of serving our customers! One thing hasn't changed - "We Love To Serve You Better!"